Happy Birthday to Me!
Sadly I have to work today (comes with being an adult, I suppose), so instead of taking a trip, I thought I’d take a second to write down all the things I want to try to do while I’m 27. Kind of a New Years resolution, but for birthdays. So here we go! In no particular order…
- Do some hiking (and blogging!) in the Smokey Mountains and Mammoth Cave – I’ve been to both places before, but it’s been several years, and since this is a reboot for me anyways, I might as well! Plus, now that I’ve been to Carlsbad Caverns, I really want to compare that one with Mammoth Cave.
- Start the process to become a certified court interpreter – it’s a long process with lots of necessary steps, plus very specific testing times, but I want to at least get the ball rolling. I enjoy interpreting and court interpreters make a whole lot more than what I’m making right now.
- Visit as many of the Tennessee State Parks as possible – there’s 54 altogether, so I probably can’t hit them all before I have another birthday, but I can try. Plus, most (if not all) of them are free, which is perfect for my budget.
- Get out more often – part of the reason I started travelling and blogging is that I have a tendency to whole my introverted self up in my apartment. I really need to try to get out, see new places and meet new people, especially since I just moved to a new city two months ago.
- Try new recipes – let 27 be the year of adventurous taste buds! In addition to main courses, I also want to experiment with desserts. I’ve made a bridal cake and a couple of grooms’ cakes in the past and I still have all the pans, so I’d really like to play around and see what I can create. I can always let my friends, family and co-workers enjoy the spoils so I’m not stuck with all the calories lol.
- Start dating again – I mentioned in my first post back that my latest relationship recently ended. After a breakup I have a tendency to avoid dating. I spend too much time thinking and over analzing the past when I should be getting back out there again. And while I’m not a big bar scene kind of girl and online dating freaks me out due to watching Way too many episodes of Criminal Minds, I figure there’s someone for everyone if you keep looking and keep putting yourself out there. So I’m gonna give it another go.
- Start saving money for a big travel adventure – the last one I took was my so-called National Park tour out West when I hit the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Four Corners and Mesa Verde in less than two weeks. I really want to do something big like that again. My fried B- and I have been talking about doing the Appalachian Trail someday, but I need to work myself up to that one, physically, mentally, emotionally, monetarily, etc. That trip won’t happen for several years, assuming it happens at all. In the meantime, I want to do something smaller-scale than the AT, but grand nonetheless. What will it be? Where will I go? What will I do? Who knows! I have no clue right now, but looking at my bank account, I need to start saving now so when the destination is finally set, I can afford to do grand and glorious, as opposed to mediocre.
So that’s the goal for my 27th year. If you can think of anything else I should be doing/trying, let me know! Suggestions are always welcome 🙂